bicycle

bicycle

Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Letter to CBC

Every year my school has what is called Safe Sex Awareness day. This was my first year hearing about it and after much thought, I decided to write to them. I ended up sending it to about 12 different authorities on campus. I expected no reply, and that is exactly what I got. Not a single person responded or even acknowledged that I sent the letter to them. I had a few people tweak it and give their opinion on it before I sent it. I'm not posting this because I consider it to be extremely well written, but rather because I want to encourage ya'll to stand up for the faith in this world and to not be afraid to give your opinion in a peaceful way, even if it isn't a popular idea.

Dear Columbia Basin College,
I was quite surprised when I received the information that the college would be providing condoms and lollipops in the Hub this Thursday. I seriously do not think that CBC is being wise by endorsing a device that is used during sexual intercourse for several reasons.
First of all, I realize that not everyone is going to have the same principle of saving sex until it is in the safest form—in marriage. As someone who has acknowledged sex as an extremely bonding and personal experience that is meant for one man and one woman, I also have other reasons for my belief. I do realize that CBC is concerned with the health of its students and that unplanned pregnancies or illnesses can be detrimental to a person’s education, but I do not think that condoms are the most effective way of dealing with these problems. There are emotional factors that go into having sex with people too.
When a person abstains from sex, relationships can be built on things other than physical intimacy. Things like intellect and character traits are taken into account. Unfortunately, many people don’t even have a personal relationship with someone and end up having what is commonly known as a "one night stand". Condoms are made to protect from pregnancies, STDs, etc., but do students know that they don’t protect against many viruses? By providing condoms, I feel that you are disregarding the well-being for both women and men. Abstinence is 100% effective and won’t break, fall off, or be physically uncomfortable.
Also, I find it repulsive that both lollipops and condoms will be offered together. I was speaking with some of my friends and they felt that this pairing was disgusting. One of my friends said that she thought it was encouraging oral sex. Whether or not this was purposeful, I think that by giving out lollipops and condoms in tandem, ASCBC is poking fun at a very intimate and personal part of life. Lollipops are a childish candy and sex is not for children, so what was ASCBC’s intention in doing this? I felt that this combination is treating sex casually and encouraging others to treat it similarly. Sex is not meant to be casual. It is so much more than just an act.
If CBC wants to effectively bring STD or pregnancy rates down, there should be other measures taken. Natural Family Planning is an alternative way that women can plan pregnancies. It looks at a woman’s cycle and works collaboratively with her partner. I’ve talked to numerous couples who have used this system and the overwhelming consensus was that, not only was it completely free of devices and pills, but also increased overall respect for each other. As I said before, abstinence is 100% effective in preventing pregnancies and STDs. Why would CBC offer me condoms, which don’t always work, instead of offering me classes on how to use NFP with my partner and my body, which is not only effective, but physically and emotionally healthy as well?
Whether or not CBC takes any of this into account, I thought it was repulsive, unnecessary, and disgusting for CBC to allow condoms to be handed out. Many of my friends, who are students at CBC, are of the same opinion. It makes me hesitant and obstinate in wanting to allow my younger siblings to attend CBC.
Thank you for your time.
Elizabeth Andersen

1 comment: