bicycle

bicycle

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tidbit of Thought & Thanks

Well, I'm back from Nashville and I feel caught between two worlds. Nashville seemed like home, almost as though I had been there for forever, but then there are moments I feel as though FASA never even happened. Perhaps I should give myself a few more days to re-enter into my normal life...
How can I describe my time of wonder and learning at the Fine Arts Summer Academy? I can't do FASA justice with my words. I've come away with so many wonderful things. My time in Music City was unforgettable. I met so many amazing people, learned so very much, and grew in unexpected ways. I also discerned some things that weren't and are still not easy to deal with. Things that are breaking my little heart, though I still live in the joy of the Lord because of the knowledge and reassurance I have of being in accordance with God and His plan. Brothers and Sisters, please pray for me that I will lean on the Lord to give me strength and courage to do what I must.
On a lighter note, I had a blast in Nashville. I got to perform in the Grand Ole Opry with a plethora of insanely talented Christian musicians. Though I have no true desire to be rich and famous and recognized (though it is fun to joke about :) I do wonder how many of these wonderful kids will soon be on their way to worldly stardom. I can only pray for them that they will continue to give the glory to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus.
One idea that is really going to continually help and form me in my pursuit of excellence in music, is the belief of using music to minister to the audience. This may sound extremely juvenile, but I thought it was a profound idea. For the past two years, I've used music as a way to get closer to God, for my own purpose of drawing myself towards Him. This is most certainly not bad, it is beautiful, but I believe God is calling me to take my music a step further. From now on when I get on stage or when I sing, I will be giving the world a glimpse of His glory and love. My voice and music should be an act of service to the audience, done out of love for God and out of a desire to show His love to His children. One of my voice teachers at camp said that when I go out to perform, I need to see myself as someone wrapping a towel around my waist so as to wash the feet of my audience. That stunned me. To put it quite bluntly, I've often been using my voice to further my kingdom, not His. The same voice teacher told me, in all love and gentleness, that my performance was NOT about me. At a different time, another voice teacher sat down next to me pouring encouragement and conviction into me. "Elizabeth, see these opportunities as Jesus coming to your door with a dozen of roses. Don't shove the flowers into a closet! Put them in a vase in the middle of the room!" Dear Michelle and Miss Renita: thank you for taking the time to mentor me and speak truth into my life. Those few minutes you took to set me straight made FASA lifechanging for me. They were truly powerful and I will never forget the love you showed me.
Isn't it interesting how spending ten minutes with a person can totally change his or her life? I only hope that I was able to, through the Lord's prompting, encourage and challenge the other students at FASA in the same way that the mentors challenged and encouraged me.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment